Wednesday 30 January 2013

CG Stormy Water

So I wanted to further play around with what is possible with CG water in Maya. Water itself and the way it moves and the way the waves intertwine with one another, as an artist is something that mesmerises me, so iv'e been quite enthusiastic about the chance to recreate this effect using Maya. The important thing that Iv'e found about water, aside from studying the physics of water so after doing some studying,


The Finished Render



Links:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/surfing5.htm

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Wave-Motion.topicArticleId-10453,articleId-10423.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yyLZd2dRL8

on waves, Is that water in Maya is primarily countrolled through he Attribute Editor. Mainly through these sections below with the settings that I have chosen, whilst playing around to see what I can create. The attributes that are most important to play around with (The Wave Height, Turbulence & Peaking) are open to the artists interpretation, and down to each individual. Stormy Sea's, and Calm sea's, low waves and high waves can all be created at one's disposal.



Foam emission can also be controlled to the artists disposal to create natural or unnatural effects, dependant on what one is looking for.


So after playing around with these and doing some test renders, this is my final result that I have created, and in Photoshop and After Effects, I have composited some out-of-focus water droplets onto my panel as to give the illusion that A camera is indeed there in the moment. I think it adds something to the imagery as well, that I like. 


Playblast


                                         

From the early storyboard and a few unsuccessful attempts at creating an Ocean in Maya, I have decided to challenge myself to create a piece for my show-reel that showcases both an artistic and technical sensibility. Below is my short storyboard for such a piece, with some colour palette cubes that 
I intend to incorporate into my shader when choosing what colour the ocean will be. 

The Colour Palette


The Storyboard

The Inspiration







No comments:

Post a Comment